Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New Room

One of my favorite things about Carolyn is how vibrant her imagination is! It is so fun to talk with her about things that we imagine to be. Today we created a new room in her "castle" together. The "Bubble Room" now joins the "Candy Room" and the "Jumping Room," among others. :) In the Bubble Room, bubbles are constantly blowing in a rainbow of colors- all except brown- and all the furniture is made of bubbles, and some of the bubbles are big enough and sturdy enough to bounce on. The picture drawn above is of Carolyn (brown hair) eating cake birthday cake with a fork (in her left hand in the picture), next to a cat (with eight legs; we're not quite there on the difference between bug bodies and mammal bodies- perhaps the bug unit at preschool will help resolve this :))- surrounded by yellow bubbles.

Too often as a mom, I get caught up in the stuff of daily life- I'm worried about the dishes or dinner or the 12 orders I have to finish tonight so they can meet the deadline of a whole week for processing time (I just can't do it any faster! I'm trying!)- too, too often I am so distracted by other stuff, that I am sure I miss so many opportunities to just connect with my children on a level that is meaningful to them. Tonight was a wonderful exception- even just for a few moments talking with Carolyn about her wonderful imaginings- I escaped the boring, pressure-filled adult world and remembered for a brief space of time what it is like to be a child. I was very much like Carolyn with that type of vivid imagination, and I find it waking up again in me sometimes when I can take enough of the grown-up off to remember it.

I'm so glad I connected with my daughter tonight. She is growing up so fast- already seems so much more "five" than "four." Such a big girl, a sweet girl, a good girl. I'm proud of her, and I am so thankful that God sent her to be my first baby!

No comments: