It really was an ordinary sort of day. Nothing special to report and I (gasp!) didn't take a single picture today! So I was sitting here wondering what to blog about when I remembered these pictures and the adventure we had on a day I was "on" as a mom. I will tell you about that. It helps to remember some of the times I've hit it right in the past when I have those mediocre days I know could have been better...
So the other day a couple weeks ago we were tooling around town, just running Boring Errands, when I saw that a family of geese by the mall had goslings in tow. Usually I'd just drive by but this day, like I said, I was inspired to take it up a notch. I parked the car, and we went on an impromptu adventure.
Nora was very interested in the geese. She kept calling "duh! duh!" Carolyn too was fixated on them, but she was very much hoping they would get close enough to touch. They didn't... at least not at this point.
The goslings were cute. I don't really care for geese, but goslings are cute.
Still seized by the spirit of spontaneity, I acquiesced to Carolyn's request to explore a nearby bridge.
The girls had fun stomping up and down it.
I had fun taking some pictures, though of course I didn't have the "right" camera with me. :)
Nora was very interested in the geese. She kept calling "duh! duh!" Carolyn too was fixated on them, but she was very much hoping they would get close enough to touch. They didn't... at least not at this point.
The goslings were cute. I don't really care for geese, but goslings are cute.
Still seized by the spirit of spontaneity, I acquiesced to Carolyn's request to explore a nearby bridge.
The girls had fun stomping up and down it.
I had fun taking some pictures, though of course I didn't have the "right" camera with me. :)Then we headed back to the car, going around the other side of the pond to give the geese some space... but I guess we sort of irritated Big Daddy Goose, because he was waiting for us, right in the way of where we needed to go. He flapped his wings and indicated his displeasure with our intrusion on his territory. We quickly tried to move past him, and he gave chase! He hissed and flapped up at us and my blood pressure went up as I half dragged Carolyn behind me and held Nora close. She thought it was a rollicking good time. Carolyn wasn't pleased at first, but now she loves to tell the story of how the goose chased us and hissed and flapped his wings and "cut" her finger. Her interest in the story might have something to do with a current reading favorite, Angus and the Ducks.
And that's the end of our story of the adventure with the goose and the bridge, and the time when I did a good job following my child's lead. :) Guess that sort of makes up a little for today when really I was more concerned with getting "stuff" done than really engaging as well as I could have... thankfully, tomorrow is a New Day. :)
1 comment:
Can't tell you how many times we went to see the ducks when you were little. I guess living in Lubbock did not present a lot of options for entertainment, but you never seemed to tire of it. We especially loved the treat of seeing the little ones, and to this day, I'll stop and gaze if I see baby ducks.
Post a Comment