Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Golden Moments

Some times in life are just shining golden moments. They don't last forever, but, as my mother says, you just savor them afterwards for their sweetness. The past couple days have been one of those moments for me. I went to my parents' house, just for an overnight, with BOTH of my sisters, my girls, and my precious nephew! It was a great road trip, great conversations, and a just wonderful time together. My mom knew that I was coming, but we surprised her when ALL three of her girls showed up at the same time! It was a glorious day- we had pancakes for breakfast, Pei Wei for lunch, Oreos for snacks while we laughed at old family pictures, and a fun trip to Somerset Mall for some shopping at stores we don't have in GR.

It's really interesting that all three of us sisters find ourselves in similar places, though for different reasons. We had a lot of talk about contentment, about finding peace and rest in God's plan, and about choosing joy even in the in-between seasons of desiring something that isn't yet granted. I feel so encouraged by my sisters and my mom, who are among the wisest women I know. I am so blessed by them all.

I turned my Etsy shop off for a day, and though that may not sound like much, I felt very freed by doing it, even just for 24 hours. I still worked on catching up with stuff, but overall I was much more relaxed and able to just release the responsibility for the business to enjoy being with my family. I'm going to try doing that just once a week on Sundays I think- just shut the whole thing down, less because of the people who might want to buy stuff, and more because having it shut down just frees me not to think about it for awhile. My Little Pixies is here to stay, I think- I don't really think it's going anywhere- so it needs to find its place in our life as a family in a way that works for everyone. So even if I give up some business by taking a day off once a week, I think I need to do it.

It's amazing what just a little break from ordinary life does. I feel much more relaxed, less stressed out, and joyful about being home again. Life is good. I may not have everything that I want... but we are abundantly blessed, and tonight I think I realize that more than usual.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

i see Brad went with your idea and the sweater. Good choice Brad! Amen to your turning off the store. It will be there Monday morning.