Thursday, May 22, 2008

We're Home

We had a great time in Virginia visiting with friends and attempting to discover if this is a place where we could see ourselves settling in the future. I just finished writing a whole treatise on this over at our other blog so I won't bore you with the full spectrum of all my thoughts unless you want to read it (in which case, go over there). Suffice it to say that we really fell in love with Virginia and the greater DC area and are very excited to pursue the potential for living there!

Brad had two interviews on Monday in a smaller city called Fredericksburg, about 50 miles south of DC and about 50 miles north of Richmond. This is the main hospital in the area, Mary Washington Hospital. It's a lovely hospital with a higher level NICU and more deliveries and gyno business than the current amount of doctors can handle! Brad enjoyed meeting with both practices and while I should probably not post too many specifics in such a public format, we're excited to see how things pan out. No commitments have been made or are expected for many more months yet, but there are some very exciting opportunities in Fredericksburg. After Brad's interviews (I got to go spend the morning exploring the town on my own- minus Carolyn who had a much better time staying with Anne and Baby Grace that day!), the hospital arranged for a realtor to take us around the town for a community tour. He had a lot of great information and we learned a lot. We really like the area. As part of the tour, we went through a major Civil War battlefield that has now been taken over by the National Park Service. Here we are with a restored cannon and a huge tree in the background that was probably there when this battle was fought! Amazing!
Anyway, we had a great time, and while we still don't have any solid answers on where we should go or what Brad should do professionally, a spark has ignited in both of our hearts for this community and we are excited to see where God will take us! :)

2 comments:

Kara said...

Ooo, I love Fredericksburg! Being the history nerd that I am, I can give you a full rundown of that Civil War battle, and I think I remember that battlefield well enough from when I was 13 and visited it that I can still walk around to where the soldiers actually were during the battle and explain it all. Yep, I chose the right subject to get a doctorate in! :)

It looks like you guys really had fun, how did you feel about the available housing market there?

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog doing a search for MWH.

I'm a transplant from CT to VA almost 20 years ago and am a new homeowner in Fburg. I lived in Orange Co(20 miles west) for 16 years, had a brief stint (2.5 years) in Purcellville (northern VA) and have now been in Fburg for the past year.

I've loved VA since I arrived many years ago and now I'm really enjoying living in the Fburg area. (two daughters are soon to be seniors at UMW - a beautiful college in town.)

In fact, I'm a nurse at MWH - in the post-partum area. It's a busy unit. (Two more hospitals due to open in the area in the coming year - one is a Medicorp hospital in Stafford, one is an HCA hospital not far from MWH)

We just closed on a house this weekend, so I could even give some info on taxes/etc on the surrounding counties. I househunted online for 3.5 months before finding one!

(www.franklymls.com is a good search site for the area)

If you want to email me with any questions, I'd be happy to give you any more specific opinions about the area.