Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hats and Messes


Thursday was my day alone with Nora (2 days a month Carolyn is at school when I'm not working, and Nora stays home with me; it used to feel more like a vacation because she slept most of the time; now it doesn't, but it's still fun to just be able to focus on 1 kid!) I had fun dressing her up in Carolyn's first coat (a totally impractical but extremely cute purchase that got used... I think twice.) and hat. It's a 3-6 month, so it's really almost too small for her, and, too thick to be practical for a baby who spends most of her travel time in the car seat... but so cute. :)

For comparison purposes, here's a picture of Carolyn in a hat at about the same age Nora is now. I can really see a lot of difference in the girls now. Nora is starting to lose that baby look and we're beginning to see glimpses of what she will look like as a toddler! I can see a lot of Carolyn now in the picture above. Makes me feel excited to look back in a year or two at the pictures I'm taking of Nora now and see the person she becomes just starting to peek out at me. :)

So we went to see a feeding specialist this week because Miss Nora really just doesn't like the solid foods; she's still really barely eating them. I wanted to know whether she was just being really picky or if she has a swallowing difficulty. After meeting with Rose, the wonderful OT we were set up with, I think it's a little of both. For some reason, Nora doesn't move food around in her mouth the way she's supposed to. So we've got assignments for the next couple weeks to work on some things with her and we'll go back in 3 weeks for a re-evaluation and probably weekly sessions for a few weeks. The pediatrician says they've seen great results from this feeding clinic, and though the doctor and the OT say that we shouldn't be worrying about solids for nutrition since she should be getting everything she needs for the first year from me, I still think it's a good idea to help her to learn to eat the way she will be eating for the rest of her life! So anyway, we're working on food. The picture above shows the magnitude of our success. I think she got about 2 bites down and then had a ball playing with her food. :)

No comments: