Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chocolatey

So today we did the Hot Chocolate 15K in Chicago! A little bit crazy maybe- we drove down last night, ran this morning, and drove back home this afternoon! We had so much fun running together! Never in my wildest anticipation of what married life would hold for us, yea nearly 10 years ago now- would I have dreamed we would actually participate in a SPORT together at any time. I am absolutely NOT athletically gifted- but I have learned this year that I CAN run- maybe not really fast, maybe not really well- but I can do it- and running is something that is so individual that I can even feel like I'm "winning" when the only person I'm competing against is myself.

Today wasn't even a "great" run- I didn't eat very well yesterday or sleep all that well last night, so I just didn't feel my best- but it was actually my best time so far for a longer run (15K= about 9.3 miles). We finished in 1 hour, 26 minutes, and 17 seconds- total pace was 9:16 per mile. The last 2 miles I ramped up the music on my headphones and quit trying to talk, and we probably averaged closer to 9 minute miles for the last 2. It felt really good to be done! And because it was the Hot Chocolate run- afterwards there was chocolate fondue and hot chocolate! Very yummy, and a great "date" with my hunky hubby. :) Plus, I placed right in the middle of my age group this time (502nd of 999), instead of somewhere at the bottom, like the last race I did when I checked. :)

After the race, we enjoyed some PF Chang's with Shelly and Bryan and Elliot and the kids and then the little ones took a nap, Brad and Bry watched football, and Shelly and Carolyn and I went to the mall together for awhile. It was the first time that I tried to take Carolyn on a "girl's excursion" that wasn't really totally "about" her. She really did quite well- and enjoyed being one of the big girls. It might have helped that we stopped for a Mrs. Field's cookie and somehow managed to end up at the Disney Store at one point in the trip. :) We don't have a Disney Store here anymore- but I swear I spend more money there than I even did when we had one here! It's just a treat to go now when we go to Chicago.

Drove home, and finished listening to the last book in the Hunger Games series on the way. Learned an important lesson- don't get engrossed in an audiobook while the kids are in the car, unless they are sleeping! Being interrupted at the most exciting point in the story tends to make you a bit grouchier than normal!

No comments: