Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Carolyn: The Creative Dresser

Carolyn has started picking out all her own clothes now. Yesterday this is what she wanted to wear. The beautiful winter sweater that was on sale at the Gap this week... the sparkly tulle skirt (also on sale at the Gap this week), and black pants with hearts on them (on sale at the Gap several months ago :))- oh, and a tiara I made for her for Halloween. At first when she asked if she could wear this, I told her it looked kind of silly... then I really regretted that because her face fell, and it was obvious that she thought she looked beautiful, and I'd just burst her balloon! (she was beautiful, of course; I just thought the pants clashed with the sweater...) I quickly backpedaled and told her she looked glamourous and fancy and she seemed happy. I'll have to remember that though- not to crush her spirit! Even if she does pick something out I'd never have chosen for her to wear! Miss Carolyn is growing into quite the young lady. Still has her own opinions about everything... but now that she is older, it is starting to feel more "right" to allow her to make her own choices (though not about everything of course!) It's fun to see her individuality emerge and to (when I'm being a good mom)- encourage and build her up for her own uniqueness. :)

1 comment:

Transplant said...

Reminds me of trying to encourage my daughters' uniqueness and individuality. I was told if you don't work yourself out of a job, you have failed. Being a mom is the greatest. :)