Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day of Dental Reckoning

Well, I didn't even bother to blog yesterday because it was not the funnest day... I had to start out by going to the dentist in the morning for 3 which turned out to be 4 fillings. I have lived in dread of the dentist since the one other filling I had when I was 15. Despite the "laughing gas" I recall the experience as being quite harrowing. I was hoping they would give me something like I got when I had my wisdom teeth out or when I had my D&Cs where you just get to "skip" the whole experience... and despite my attempts to secure more a more reliable form of anesthesia, I ended up mistakenly telling Brad to see patients during my appointment time, so I had no driver, and had to keep the sleepy pills at home and go all by myself. :( I was so scared I burst into tears in that horrible chair waiting for the scary dentist to come in. He's not an especially warm and fuzzy person- his best recommendation is that he is a preferred provider on our very restrictive dental insurance. But when he saw me sobbing in the chair, he did thaw out a bit, and talked me through the experience and although there was just nothing fun about any of it- not in the chair, not the drilling, not the scraping or filing or whatever that was, not the smell of destroyed tooth, not walking out of the building with my face twice as big as it should be, not talking to the other moms picking up preschoolers at school, not having to cancel lunch with friends because it was so uncomfortable to try to speak, not being so thirsty I wanted to guzzle water but couldn't find the right place on my face to put it so I could drink it. But... I did survive. My face is back to normal now, my mouth hurts only a little bit, and I can eat just about normally. But I never want to go through that again. Yuck.

But... on the upside...
I put this together for Nora, and it pleased me so much. :) I am reaching some new territory with my fledgling business... starting to realize that I cannot do it all alone- that as brilliant (ha!) or creative or crazy or whatever I am, I am still only and ever just one person. And the many other wonderful things in my life that fill nearly all of me with my consuming role as their mother, wife, cookie baker, clutter creator and container, etc-  all have their rightful share... And so what's left at the end that I can give to the creations that I'm so passionate and excited about... is just not enough to go around. I am so thankful for some new friends, including a friend named Trish, who crochets these butterflies (and some other things I'm going to unveil soon) with the love and attention to detail that I would if I had a clone. It's actually even better than having a clone of myself because I not only get to have her hard work doing something that looks amazing and fits in with all my other stuff so well- I get the indefinable element of her own passion and art and creativity.  She adds such a dimension to My Little Pixies, and I'm so glad I found her, and these butterflies, that make me happy.

1 comment:

Linda Quist said...

I am glad you survived! I was praying for you! Ugh. And I love the new little butterflies!