Friday, June 12, 2009

An Idea


So I wanted to make a tutu for Carolyn's birthday because she had so much fun playing in the one my friend Kasey brought over when she did our newborn/family pictures. I had so much fun making the tutu that I just kept making more! I've made five in the past week (two are identical so I didn't take pictures of both) and I'm loving having something fun and creative to do with my hands when my brain is mush after a crazy day. It helps me relax.

So I only have a limited number of friends who need birthday presents... so I was thinking of making some to sell. What do you think, O blog readers? Would anyone pay for something like this? What do you think would be reasonable? Please don't spare my feelings! I really want to know! Thanks for helping me with my market research. Here are some individual pictures of the different ones I've made. I bought some more tulle in several different colors to make them even more fun!!




Also, I thought I might add making custom bows to the side business. I'm thinking I'd set up an eBay or Etsy shop online and people could request items and I could then just make them as requested. I'm not figuring on having a huge inventory; that would take too long. I'll probably just make a bunch of samples, post pictures online and then go from there.

These are the bows I used to use in Carolyn's hair before she stopped letting me put clips in. I can make them bigger or smaller and they have grippy stuff on the inside to keep them from slipping out.
These are the ones I use for Nora now- they're little tiny (only about 2 inches across) and go on little clips that fit in just a tiny amount of hair. 
I can't claim 100% credit for these because I didn't make the flowers; I just put them on clips and added the rhinestone. But I know I could learn to crochet them; it'd be pretty easy. 
I'm thinking of making these like $3 a pair or something? What do you think?

5 comments:

Jennifer Johnson said...

Hi! I have a friend who makes hair bows and such and she sells them for around $3 each. The tutu's she sells for $10 each. Those bows are really cute too! I wish I would have gotten into bows earlier with my daughter but at 6 it's harder to get her to want to wear them. Blessings,
Jenny in Fowler, IN

McElroy Family Happenings said...

I've been reading your blog for a while now. I suppose I'll finally introduce myself!

My name is Lisa, and I live near Houston...actually in Katy...west of Houston. I don't know how I found your blog other than it was a link from one of my friends' blog. And I don't know what friend. Maybe it was a friend of a friend.

Anyway! I love checking in on your girls. They are adorable. I think the prices you're considering...as well as the prices Jennifer mentioned in her comment...are totally reasonable.

Wish my daughter a) had more hair, and b) enjoyed bows more! Oh well! :)

It's good to have a creative outlet, isn't it?!?!

Sincerely,
Lisa Mc

linda said...

GREAT IDEA! I loved the ones you got Laney! And that Tu-tu! Seriously adorable! I think it is a great idea! You can put it towards you new basement!!

Becca said...

I think you would do great selling these EB - you just have to decide if it's worth your time with the amount that you would have to sell to make it worth it. I've done similar projects and have found that it's better worth my time to just make them for Kylie and for gifts. Too time consuming for just a couple bucks for my schedule :)

By the way, where do you get the crochet flowers - I've searched the stores for them to no avail?!?
Becca

Leah said...

I love them EB! Sign me up to be a customer. I love them and think you are very talented! I love the tutus and would in a second by one for 10.00. Hopefully, I'll see ya at the park next week. Love, Leah