Tuesday, June 16, 2009

THE Dance Recital!

I'm, as usual, running behind on so many things about my life... including the blog! This weekend was the DANCE RECITAL! We'd built up so much to this moment and it was finally here! It seemed like last week was just consumed with dance! Reminded me a little of when I'd do stuff like this as a kid or teenager- except I'm behind the steering wheel of the mom-mobile instead of in the back seat this time! We had dance class Monday night, a disastrous dress rehearsal at the studio on Wednesday (I'm glad we did this because the makeup and dressing process was not nearly as tortuous on the day of the show!), then Saturday morning was the final dress rehearsal and Saturday night was the real thing!
As previously mentioned, the makeup application did not go well on Wednesday before the first dress rehearsal. Carolyn threw one of the biggest, loudest tantrums I've seen in a few months! After we both cooled off a bit, she finally was able to tell me that the mascara was scary, and so aat least there was an easy fix. Putting makeup on her on Saturday was actually the fun experience I'd hoped it'd be! She really liked the powder I got because it has a sort of cooling sensation when it goes on, and it sparkles. :)
I thought her sweet two-almost-three-year-old face would look silly and overdone with makeup on (like those silly toddler beauty queens)- but she actually looked really cute! It was like getting a sneak preview of the beautiful young woman she will someday become (PLEASE stay little as long as you can, sweet girl; you will be entirely TOO beautiful for your own good!)
Most of our pictures from the dress rehearsal and especially from the show are too blurry to post, but here's one showing Rachel, Allie, and Carolyn after they came on the stage at the dress rehearsal.
As if the day weren't busy enough, after the dress rehearsal, we went over to JC Penney to have some pictures taken of the girls in their costumes. :)
They were so darn cute I was so glad we did! :)



I couldn't believe it, but Carolyn actually cooperated for pictures! She even smiled!

After naptime, it was time to get ready all over again. She was so excited about the recital; much more so than I thought she'd be. Here she is with some of the girls in her class, all ready to go.
When Miss Kym came to the dressing room to get the girls, I thought she'd be reluctant to leave me, but as soon as she saw her, she just looked at me and said "Bye Mom!" and headed off with the other girls.

She did so great in the recital! She actually did the dance! I've never seen her do it because every time I've asked her, she's refused to show me! I was so proud of her (though really, I'd have been just as proud if she'd just gone out on the stage and stood there). I know it took some courage to get out there on that stage. What a big girl! She was so DONE having her picture taken by this point after the show, but I wanted one with her and the flowers. :) She earned them!

And of course, the post wouldn't be complete without a picture of the cutest little spectator there! :) Nora didn't care for the loud music, cheering, and whistling, but Ammy was only too happy to hold her in the back of the auditorium. :)

So, that's the end of Dance Class for the year. It's been really fun to do this class with Heather and Bridget (Rachel and Allie's moms) and Olivia's mom who we got to know through the year. It's kind of like my "girl time" each week. I don't think we'll be able to do it again next year, though, because Carolyn is starting preschool in the fall and I don't want her to be overwhelmed with too much activity. We will miss it! But it sure has been fun!

5 comments:

Ginger said...

oh EB I remember those days with Sam. Sam was not hip on the makeup as well but as she got older it was easier. I guess I will go through it with Emma as well. She looked so cute. I remember the recital time was so fun. thanks for sharing

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

that first pic of Mommy doing daughter's makeup is so great!!!

Cindy said...

William and I had fun looking at the pictures together. The first thing that he said was "are those angels?". Too cute!!

Shellie said...

Josh and I just looked at all these pictures and the ones of the 3 girls are so precious!!

Kara said...

Her costume is FABULOUS! I love it!