Last night I had a dream that someone told us that his residency didn't count and we'd have to go back and do it all over again... thank goodness I woke up! :) In so many ways I cannot believe how fast the time has flown- when you first start residency, it seems that it is an eternal process that will go on forever, so you just buckle down, get used to being apart a lot, and find ways to work around it to maintain your connection. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other and though there are hard moments and residency as a whole isn't easy, you do find ways to cope and create a life together in spite of the challenges. And then one day, you check the calendar and lo and behold, you're DONE! At least that was what has beenlike for me. I'm usually the one anticipating change for weeks or months ahead- but this time this huge life change didn't really "hit" me until last Friday when we went to Brad's special graduation banquet.
Here are the graduates! Roger, Heather, and Brad, with Brad's dad. Brad has had the really amazing privilege the last four years of training under his dad, who took over the headship of the residency program about halfway through. He is an amazingly accomplished, wonderful OB/GYN who's been in practice for more than 30 years and who has a real gift for teaching. When I think of excellence, my father-in-law immediately comes to mind. Whatever he does is always truly exceptional. It would have been a cool thing for Brad to work with his dad no matter what, but an even better thing that of all the people in the world to learn from, he has had such an incredible teacher. You could just see how proud Papa Thar was of his son, and how this was a really high moment in his life.
And here we are with Brad's mom and dad. Of course there are so many more support people in Brad's life that have made his accomplishment possible... but I think it is special that the two people who provided his first home and inspired him to become what he is today are here, and so am I; now it is my job and privilege to create and maintain a home for this incredible man. And behind us on the mantlepiece of the fireplace are the words "Solo Deo Gloria," which mean "to God alone give glory." What a fitting statement for one of those "high" moments in life when we're tempted to give the honor all to ourselves for our amazing accomplishments. We are right to remember that when all's said and done, no matter how amazing or important we become in this life on a human level, one day, we will be but one of the throng, flung to our knees before the God who made it all, when "every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."
5 comments:
Does this mean Brad's a real doctor now? Just kidding! I know he's been real for a long time! Now maybe he'll get to enjoy some of the perks of doctor-hood though- many congratulations!!! We love you both!
Congratulations, Brad! I hope you're enjoying celebrating this amazing accomplishment. And congratulations EB, Carolyn, & Nora- as I think Shiloh, Allie and even Emma can attest to, putting a parent through school/residency programs requires about as much work from you all too!
Congrats Brad...what a long haul it's been but we're so proud of you for making it through!!!! Hope you have a chance to celebrate big:-)
Congrats, Brad. We are so excited for you!
Love from Texas,
Mark, Erica, Peyton and Hayley
ErymnCymn
aw5d
Post a Comment