Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day at the Beach


We went out for an early dinner in Holland last night and spent the evening at Tunnel Park as a family. After working all weekend, it was so nice to just spend some unstructured time together! Carolyn, predictably, was thrilled with all the sand to play with!

Doesn't Nora look cute in the Bjorn?

First feel of sand between her toes.
Walking along the beach. I could really see how much Carolyn has grown from last year- she is so much more independent than she was before! Of course this means we have to watch her all the more carefully because she is not content to just stay right by Mommy and Daddy anymore! She wants her own space to explore the world for herself! 

Nora got her own beach chair made of sand and a blanket. :)
Carolyn met a little boy who was picking up handfuls of sand and throwing them in the lake and she thought it was a great idea. It was interesting and sweet to see her play with this other child- he spoke Spanish and she speaks English, but it made just no difference to her at all. He was just another kid to play with. I wish we could all keep that unsullied, childlike view of other people, how in all the important ways, we are all just the same. 
The refilling of the lake with sand held Carolyn's attention longer than it did the boy's- we enjoyed watching her be so delighted with something so simple! :)
A better photographer than I am might be able to catch something like this more often, but for me, it is a rare thing when I manage to capture the essence of Carolyn the way that this picture does. This is what she looks like to me; and if I had cameras in my eyes, this is what all the pictures of her would look like! :)
Nora pooped out pretty quickly, and I got to hold her. :) Lucky Mommy! I'd missed her!!
Sweet, sleepy baby. :) After this we went out for ice cream and drove home; no one got as much sleep last night as we'd have liked... but it was worth it! :)

1 comment:

linda said...

I love all these pics! the beach is so much fun!