Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Distance

So, in the middle of everything else I've been working on this summer... I've also been training to run a 1/2 marathon. I've kind of always been one for lofty goals and big ideas... and usually not so great on the follow-through. I'll be honest, that I never really intended to go through with the race when I signed up- I sort of hoped that by signing up for something I totally wouldn't do if I were pregnant... somehow it'd trick it into happening... well, obviously I didn't get what I really wanted... BUT, I found out this weekend that I CAN run over 13 miles!

My sister Laura has been my cheerleader and running buddy as I've worked up to some longer runs over the past couple months, and we've been enjoying running together. She is a REAL runner, training for the FULL marathon in October- but our training has coincided enough that se can run together, and I am so thankful- because I never would have pushed myself well enough alone! Yesterday, we did a 13.5 mile run together! And at the worst time of day, too- started at about 10:30am and finished at a very HOT 1:00pm. Nothing ever tasted so good as the super sized fountain Coke I got at the McDonald's at the end of our route! I've so enjoyed the time spent with my sister too!

The Chicago HALF-marathon is on September 11, and now, I know I'm ready. :) I just have to not get hurt between now and then and keep doing the daily-ish run, and I'll be able to get that PINK 13.1 sticker for my car- and cross something off the "bucket list" I never knew I had. :) I'd STILL rather be able to say "oops, gonna have a baby, can't run..."- but I feel like learning to run has taught me something about patience, perseverance, keeping going when it's hard, and a little bit about the "long run" as a picture of what life is like. I've had a lot of great conversations about trust and providence and the grace of God as my sister and I have run alongside one another- and feel like I've learned from her experiences and gained from her wisdom- and just enjoyed having a captive audience for a couple hours to do all my verbal processing! 

While there are lots of "hats" I wear as a mom and wife and business person and just person in general-  "athlete" has never been one of them- and has never really been something I particularly wanted (having realized fairly young that the gene pool simply did not bless me with the natural ability to be any good at any sort of sport...)- but it's kinda cool, that at least on that one day, when I lace up my running shoes, start my "tunes" on my ipod shuffle, and join the sweaty throng in the streets of Chicago- I get to try out what it's like to be an "athlete." :) Even if I'm not a very good one! All I want is to finish the race!

No comments: