The snow started again about when we left the concert Saturday night, and I'm not sure if it's let up yet because I haven't been outside since then! I truly don't mind snow within reason- I don't like driving on wintry roads, but really Michigan is pretty used to snow and does deal fairly effectively with accumulations that would shut down some other major cities... So as long as snow stays fluffy, pretty, and preferably confined to grass and trees and the outsides of houses, I'm really fine with it; kind of like it actually, especially before Christmas. But I do NOT like it when snow interferes with my life!! So far, this winter is shaping up to be a lot like last winter- and by the end of the last eternal cold season I was ready to pack up and ditch Michigan forever!! And NOW we are seriously considering STAYING when we have a clear opportunity to leave? What is wrong with us?!
Yesterday we had "blizzard" conditions all day with nasty biting blowing snow and subzero wind chills- so naturally, church, AND the childrens' Christmas program were canceled. :( [thankfully the program was rescheduled for next Sunday :)] So, AGAIN, we spent the day inside. The experience of the last few days has made me think that a "Snow Box" would be a great idea for our house- I'm going to work to put together a box of ideas and special toys to bring out when we have snowed-in days because they get soooo LONG!!
Anyway, all complaining aside, we tried to make the best of it. I got all the Christmas gifts wrapped and ready to go, did the laundry, and attempted to supplement the heating of our house by baking most of the day. :) The best part of the day was rolling and cutting out sugar cookies as a family. :)

I found a cheap, small rolling pin just the right size for Carolyn at Target and she loved being able to help roll out the dough.

She was much better at choosing a space that actually had room for the cookie cutter this time than she was the last time we tried this a few months ago.

But I think her favorite part of the experience was "banging out the dough" with Daddy. Who needs a rolling pin? Daddy's way is much more fun. :)

Daddy goes for quantity and speed at the expense of quality sometimes... he smashed about 10 cookies per cookie cutter load and then dumped them out on the table like this... hence many of our cookies are missing arms and legs and have misformed heads. But I suppose they'll taste just as good. :)

Grinning at each other...

And now a cheesy smile for Mommy... I love watching Brad spend time with his girl. The daddy-daughter bond is such a special one!! We are excited to have Daddy off for the next week!! :) One of the few perks of resident life (well our residency anyway) is that they work at half-staff the 2 weeks around the holidays and each resident gets a whole week off to spend with family... I will miss this next year, wherever we are, where he will once again be the low man on the totem pole! But I'm enjoying it for now. :)
1 comment:
sooo cute--i love that you guys encourage this messy exploration! we're a bit snowed-in here, too :) we went sledding down a side street (with no cross traffic at the bottom, just pike place market!) yesterday. andrew's spending the night at a hotel walking distance from the hospital (at their expense), and i've been busying my lonely self with pacific nw ballet's 'nutcracker' today. it's so fun this close to christmas for us seattle-ites. but, we can walk most places. i might just feel stuck, too, if i couldn't!
Post a Comment