Thursday, April 3, 2008

In Austin!



So you might have noticed I haven't blogged in awhile... there really isn't much worth writing about the last week and a half except that some of you may be interested to learn that after much prayer and searching, we have decided to pursue this medical missions trip to the Congo. Brad will be leaving July 19 and returning August 3. Many of you who we know in "real life" will soon be receiving a letter from us with more details about the trip. We could both really use your support and most especially your prayers as we prepare for and take this trip- although Brad will be the one actually traveling, the challenge of faith is no less for me staying at home, so we really are in this together. Thanks for all your comments and thoughts over the past few weeks as this decision has been crystallizing. This opportunity that I never would have sought, along with some other difficulties that I certainly would never have planned would seem to indicate that God is inviting (or sometimes I feel as though He's dragging me...) us into a new season of faith and trust in Him. Please pray that we (and especially I) would choose to stop fighting Him and relax and find rest in Him even when we cannot see the way ahead and that He would really give us the peace and joy He promises when we choose to follow His path.

But here we are- on another long-anticipated trip to Austin to visit family!! Brad couldn't come this time but Carolyn and I came with Ammy and met Laura here and we are having a great time so far.

Carolyn was very tired today because we dragged her out of bed before 5 this morning! But she was a very good girl on the plane. She really enjoyed sharing this pear with Ammy. :)
She got a little nap on one of the flights; on the other one, I installed the car seat wrong and I had to hold her feet the whole time to keep her from kicking the seat in front of us... but 101 Dalmatians and lots of snacks saved us! :)
We were all very excited to see the cousins- here is my cousin Kelsey and Peyton (Carolyn's second cousin). We all had a fun time bouncing on the trampoline. The kids kept saying "Whoa! Whoa!"
Then Carolyn had a ball running back and forth to various family members on the trampoline.
Incredibly, we even got to see a goat (Doat!) It's a long story, but Uncle Jack ended up with this goat that is ultimately destined for life on his "ranch" and it came home tonight to spend the night in the backyard.
Everyone was much interested in the arrival of the Goat.



Carolyn loved to describe the goat in detail- describing its horns, its collar, the sound it makes (Maaa!) and finally prounouncing it "dirty." :)
Uncle Jack took Peyton and Carolyn down into the gulley behind the house to follow the goat. :)

After such a day of fun, the kids really needed a bath! :) They had a blast playing in the water... until the inevitable consequence of a day of travel, excitement and waay too much apple juice happened... and I had to fish Snickers bars out of the water and then clean the tub with Chlorox! I love being a mama! (I really do. :))
We'll be here until next Tuesday and I hope to post frequently. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

EB-
I am so happy for you all that God is sending Brad to the Congo. The work he will be able to do may not be all that he is capable of doing, but will make such a huge impact on the lives of the women down there. Our prayers are certainly with you. Enjoy the rest of your trip in Austin.

Love Kyrstin

Christi said...

Glad to see that you made it safely and getting some much needed time away to "reset" with family. Enjoy your trip. We missed you today, but look forward to seeing you soon and continuing to read about your trip.
Christi

Kara said...

I hope you're enjoying the weather in Austin- I giggled at the Easter pictures with all the snow since Easter in good old Phoenix had Allie sweating during the Easter egg hunt after church! (Poor child is never going to survive the summer here!)

Anonymous said...

glad you're having a great time in texas--good to chat last week, friend!